Saturday, September 10, 2005

Nevius and Napoleon

Some time back (January 4, 2005 to be exact) I had the most wonderful experience when I came as close to celebrity as I'm likely to get. CW Nevius writes for the San Francisco Chronicle with the online version called SF Gate being found here and what follows is our merry and embarrassingly personal exchange.

From: Me
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 7:29 PM

To: Nevius, CW

Subject: Napoleon Dynamite

I came across your on-line article of today, 'Dynamite' insight into teenage life, while perusing Jim Romenesko's Obscure Store and Reading Room site which I linked to from The New York Times on the Web article by Andy Wang entitled Online Digests Help Readers Cope With Information Avalanche that had references to Dave Pell's Davenetics as well as quotes by Dave himself and I do admit to getting some sort of a kick out of at least 55% of the things that he claims to say but I'd have never even heard of him if I hadn't sought to edit my MyYahoo page.

I have never denied being out of the loop, so far out that I do not even posit to be a "pop poseur," the pre-supposition of which would be preposterous. In the last nineteen years I have miserably failed every pop culture pop quiz I could muster guts to take ... with one exception.

I knew the answer to your one-question quizlet regarding Vote for Pedro before even reading the multiple choices. Mr. Nevius, I cannot put into words the feeling of accomplishment, the satisfaction, the warmth of hope deep inside that maybe, in this the back-half of my forty-sixth year, I may be creeping ever-so-slowly - but at least forwardly - upon the pop culture that has existed so elusively beyond my grasp for oh so long.

Not only did I know the answer, I enjoyed the movie. I understood the movie. I've lived the movie. And I will watch it again. And maybe again. I thank you, Mr. Nevius, for bringing me up from the day-to-day struggles of supporting my family on a part-time salary, for diverting my attention from a cheating boyfriend, for allowing me respite from the emotional roller-coaster of my little dog's pregnancy, for showing me a glimmer of that pop light, of pop life. I feel. So. American.

Gosh.


Subject: RE: Napoleon Dynamite
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 20:32:27 -0800

Thread-Topic: Napoleon Dynamite

From: "Nevius, CW"
To: "Me"

What a great note. Deftly written and with a beginning, middle, and a very nice end. Good stuff. Thanks. CWN



I mean, REALLY!!! Have you EVER? I positively glow every time I read his words! Thank you, Mr. Nevius; even though it's taken me lo these many months, I have been inspired to begin writing my own article.

Yes, it truly has taken some time to work myself up to this, even with his kindly encouraging missive to back me up. I am rarely as impulsive as I was on the occasion of writing to Mr. Nevius. I need a lot of time to plan and assure myself that this is, yes indeedy-doody, really and fer sher, what I want to spend at least a squidgeon of my time doing.

It's not like I agree 100% wholeheartedly with everything Mr. Nevius writes. But I do enjoy his writing as a craft, and he's practically world-famous to boot.

Which reminds me, in the letter I wrote to him, I said some things that don't make sense to me now - I wonder if they did at the time? For example, when I said "getting some sort of kick out of at least 55% of the things he claims to say" ... what was it Dave had said that made me think he was only laying claim to them? And why did I get a kick out of only 55% of it? I've been a regular reader of
Dave's site for months and I rarely DON'T get a kick out of Dave Pell. I've also enjoyed reading about his family and I regularly check out his darling wife's uber-cool website Splendora ... As some friends and family members may recall, I have even used Pell's website as my Status Message on Yahoo IM. The point is, what the heck was I saying Dave was saying or not saying? Must investigate.

Oh, hey, and now Dave Pell is part of a really useful (and mysterious) website which is in the Beta stage (I am so flipping excited to be a part of it myself). I'll talk more about it later because it's still a secret and this was supposed to be about Nevius and Napoleon.

So I'll part now with assurances that you should check out this site:
Napoleon Dynamite Quotes
and offer you these final words of affection:
Tina, you fat lard, come get some DINNER!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is an awesome letter, though I had to grab another coffee to keep pace with that first paragraph... Err, sentence...

Catt said...

Hey Angus! Can you imagine how much coffee I'd had to be able to write it?

Anonymous said...

Hi Catt!! Finally getting around to checking your blog. OMGosh! Who would've guessed you were so deep and analytical! ;) And long winded! :0 Just teasing! Lovely site!