Monday, September 26, 2005

Distributed Proofreaders, Erasmus and Zadie

For a couple of weeks I've been spending lots way more than is healthy or wise time proofreading for Distributed Proofreaders, a fun-loving, imaginative, creative, pirate-obsessed and generally obsessive-compulsive community of literate folk who believe in the greater purpose of Project Gutenberg. Should you receive a message from me within the DP site, you'd find it tagged with this quote:

"Books are the legacies that a great genius leaves to mankind, which are delivered down from generation to generation, as presents to the posterity of those who are yet unborn.

-- Joseph Addison"

Presumptuous? Possibly. But a mission is a mission, and this is one that plenty of people believe in and I'm proud to be part of the project.

Besides, I love to read, and this is just plain enjoyable. I was very relieved to find that even if someone else picks up the next page of an adventure that you've been following letter by letter, you can still read it, don't have to miss a thing. It was vital that I was clear on this before beginning that first beginner's project. Crucial.

And so a couple of days ago I was happily working on my first real project, Volume III, June to November 1851 of Harper's New Monthly Magazine. I was so intent on the beauty of the language and writing of the period that I nearly missed the larger message of the following passage:

The emperor, the King of France, and Cardinal Ximenes are alle striving which shall have Erasmus, and alle in vayn. He hath refused a professor's chayr at Louvain, and a Sicilian bishoprick. E'en thus it was with him when he was here this spring---the Queen w^d have had him for her preceptor, the King and Cardinall prest on him a royall apartment and salarie, Oxford and Cambridge contended for him, but his saying was, "Alle these I value less than my libertie, my studdies, and my literarie toyls." How much greater is he than those who woulde confer on him greatness! Noe man of letters hath equall reputation or is soe much courted.

Do you see it? Do you see it!? This might be how Zadie Smith views herself! Is it not possible that her wrathful and demeaning comments towards those who admire her are simply due to her belief that she is so much greater than those would confer on her greatness? It could be possible that she appears noble and lofty to herself, and is saying "All of these awards I value less than what I have now." Is this the message she's been waiting for us to understand?


And now, no more on Ms. Smith until I have read her books.

No comments: